Sunday 1 August 2010

It's All Grimy Out Here

This week it's been all about Grime for me.

Well, in fact, most weeks I listen to a fair amount of Grime music.

Tempa T AKA Tempz has got to be one of the Grime scene's most popular MCs right now. I first became aware of him in 2006 (I think) when he dropped a crazy, unforgettable freestyle on the Risky Roadz 2 DVD.

He had me in stitches and, three years on, his monster single Next Hype hit the scene, he'd attracted a huge following and he'd really made a name for himself.

Tempz's high-energy style really creates a massive buzz wherever he performs, or where his tunes are dropped, which for me totally sums up what Grime is about.

Apparently he's being chased by a few majors at the moment, how that will pan out is anyone's guess...I wouldn't say he's one of those MCs who could be moulded and re-sold to a commercial audience. Next Hype sent the crowd crazy at Wireless when he performed it there, which is brilliant. Personally speaking I think he'd have to be left as he is, otherwise he just wouldn't be Tempz. Anyway, watch this space...

As well as Tempz, I've been listening to a huge amount of old and new stuff by Big H and Meridian/Bloodline Crew. Again, they really keep true to what Grime is all about - no watered-down pop anthems here, just straight head nodding, 'banging the walls' energy and gully lyrics.

Here's a little selection of what's been pumping through my headphones on the way to and from work this week...









And here's Tempa T's freestyle from Risky Roadz 2. Hilarious...

No comments:

Post a Comment