Monday 13 September 2010

Hot Mess...

Well, five nights out in a row will take their toll on anyone - man, woman or beast (I'm the former) - so as I write this I'm constantly sniffing and my head is pounding. Lovely stuff. 

Still, it was worth - my last two nights were full of most of the music I love dancing to: Grime, Garage, Dubstep, House... ahhh, bliss. Well worth the ill feeling I have right now.

As my brain thumps away inside my skull, I'm soothing it with the sounds of Flying Lotus. Just received his latest album, Cosmogramma, today. It's a beauty, as I expected. Guy's got skills...

Flying Lotus - German Haircut



...In the same package I got Chromeo's new album. 

Now, after having the sounds of Cosmogramma keeping my mind busy, and a little confused at times, the first few seconds of Business Casual grabbed me straight away. A woman saying "You're a hot mess" brought a massive smile to my face - I call myself a hot mess all the time, completely in jest of course. I'm nowhere near arrogant enough to think I'm actually hot. 

Chromeo are brilliant, they were amazing at EXIT earlier this year - very entertaining, great party music, good lyrics. Faultless really. 

At the time of writing I'm only 4 tracks into the album and I'm thoroughly enjoying every second. I have The Best Of The Bar Kays on CD, it's years old and skips constantly nowadays - but this Chromeo CD is like a perfect substitute.. it reminds of the Bar Kays a little... it's got that funk and a combination of party tunes with slower lover's songs. 

The Bar Kays - Sexomatic


The Bar Kays - Anticipation



All bang up to date of course, but with a strong nod to the 70s and 80s. 

UPDATE: I've come back to edit this and I still have the CD playing on repeat two hours after I first wrote this blog entry... 

BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT! 

Chromeo - Hot Mess (Live)



Chromeo - Fancy Footwork (Apparently this was featured in Step Up 3D... I only just found that out)



Oh, and I wrote about Devlin's new video at work today. Runaway debuted on NME.com over the weekend and it features the vocals of DJ Yasmin on the chorus. 

What a brilliant video, I really genuinely like it and I think it has the potential to chart in a very high position. Fingers crossed it does. 

I'm trying to champion as much GOOD UK music as I can, and this is definitely seriously good British music. 

1 comment:

  1. recognise chromeo's fancy footwork from the VO5 ad as well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6C8_ZKno4

    ReplyDelete