Saturday 16 October 2010

Update For The Week...


This week has been another good one music-wise, I've had time to post up a couple of things on here, cracked on with work and managed to get out and visit a couple of really, really good nights.

First of all though, I tipped American singer Mike Posner to make an impression on the charts here after I saw him at the Notting Hill Arts Club last month... and he has, hitting the top 10 five weeks before his single is officially released.

Cooler Than Me isn't out until next month, but it's already in the top 10 and radio stations are itching to whack it on their playlists. Cher Lloyd even sang it on X Factor...Big things will be happening for this guy over the coming year.



My first night out this week was at I Luv Live in The Queen Of Hoxton. I only went for one reason, to see Mr Random Impulse do his thing live. He smashed it, even though he was getting over a bout of the flu...


Later in the week I hit the Red Bull Music Academy Culture Clash 2010 - the second soundclash. And what a night it was... after hearing last year's and seeing the footage on YouTube I was really looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. Absolutely one of my best night's out this year, and that's saying a lot, because (not meaning to boast) I've been to a lot of music events in 2010.

Here's Skream dropping Coki's sick Movado remix while Sgt Pokes and Benga go mad on stage.... (although whoever uploaded it labelled it Channel One).



Skream & Benga ripped the place to shreds, Metalheadz came with the fire and dropped some naughty dubplates, Channel One kept it strictly irie and Soul Jazz mixed it up but never really found their way.

This was one of the highlights for me - Shy FX drops a special Metalheadz version of Katy On A Mission for Skream & Benga.



Funnily enough after the Headz dropped that Katy On A Mission dubplate I was convinced they'd won... and I think a lot of people were too.

Channel One emerged victorious and, even though I really wanted Skream & Ben to take it, I have to say my heart was with Channel One. They went about everything the right way and proved you don't need to shout your mouth off and disrespect other people to win the support of the crowd - the other sounds got taught a lesson by a proper old school sound system.


Good, solid output prevailed and, ultimately, I couldn't be anything but happy for them. Well deserved.

Tonight I'm off to KISStory at the O2 to see DJ Luck and MC Neat and tomorrow Ed Sheeran records his DVD live at the Bedford in Balham.

Music Really Is The Answer...

No comments:

Post a Comment